Whether you're a snacker or not, eating during labour is mostly done in the form of snacking (it's difficult to eat a full meal while labouring)! To make snack prep easier, we thought we'd give you a list of great snacks for labour:
- cut up fruit - we love bananas, apples, watermelon, and cold berries, stay away from citrus as it doesn't feel good coming back up (throwing up during labour is common)
- cut up veggies - we love carrots and cucumbers
- nuts and seeds - watch our for allergies
- dried fruit (unsweetened)
- popsicles - we love natural fruit juice popsicles and tea pops
- miso soup - fantastic umami snack!
- broth - veggie or meat, make sure it's clear (i.e. doesn't have chunks)
- protein balls (see recipe below)
- crackers, pita, naan, toast - you can have some dahl with it too!
- smoothie - dairy free
Recipe for Protein Balls
- 1 scoop chocolate/vanilla protein powder
- 1/3 cup of nut butter
- 1/3 cup of shredded coconut (unsweetened) or more as needed
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup pure maple syrup
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1.5 tsp cinnamon
- 3/4 tsp sea salt
- add ins (depending on consistency): 2 tbsp ground flax sees/chia seeds, 2 tsp maca powder, etc.
In a food processor/blender mix protein powder, nut butter, and coconut until they are mixed well.
Add maple syrup, vanilla, cinnamon, and sea salt. Pulse until combined - if the consistency is too runny/moist add some add-ins.
Rolls into balls - if they're still a little sticky you can roll them in shredded coconut, cocoa powder, crushed nuts, etc.
These are nutritious and delicious snacks for labour, but if all you can hold down is a bar of Snickers and fries have those instead ;)
The Spectrum Team